20131124

Experiment 28 Maid Marion



Dreamweaver - age 35

The turtle was still and seemed to be carved of a dark gold marbled shell. It was a very special turtle; it was not an Olive Ridge, but another amazing species whose name barely slipped my tongue. It was a beautiful creature of about three feet from head to tail. Its eyes looked at me sagely. It nodded its head once or twice and tried to flipper away slowly on the concrete ground. I watched it from behind the gates of my home as it made its way to the garden.

I was in a gathering of friends and strangers. Each one engaged in some interaction with their objects of attention. I surveyed the scene made up of a variety of books on a large table. I was drawn to the books both familiar and new. Some of them I would collect, most are given away for free. There is a series of ten books which I was looking forward to reading so I put them in a stack and thought to collect them after the gathering was over.

I looked back to the turtle and saw a man kneeling with one hand on its shell. The man was hunched over it and to my horror, he cut open the turtle’s shell from the side. No! I was too late, the turtle was dead and its body sliced open. The man would make a meal out of its meaty body parts. Someone must have heard me for a crowd gathered and an uncle seemed really angry and upset at the man too and rushed forward to stop the man. It was too late, the turtle was gone.

I was upset and crying. A boy came over to comfort me. He sat down to my right and took my hand. I could not see him clearly through the tears but he tried to console me with his soft words. He would make it better, he promised. He said something to the others around me but I did not pay attention in my grief for the turtle taken by a man. All I remembered was his touch on my shoulder and his hand interlaced with mine.

His presence was soothing and he never left my side. A part of me was grateful for his deep concern and a part of me was fearful of the way he was taking control of the situation. It seemed the people around him responded to his words and his presence. They seemed to visibly draw back when we approach. His touch never left my arm. I felt strange being in this circle of two.

A hobo of a young bedraggled man starved and wild looked at me, and then at him. He scowled. I knew this man despite his unruly looks and uncouth manners. He was once a great mind but now seemed reduced to cowering in front of the boy next to me. He was afraid. I offered to pay for his meal. He sneered at the offer, one eye on the silent boy next to me. What happened to you, I asked, you who had so much to give the world, and so much potential to serve.

He took the food but refused to owe me or the boy any favours. He would pay for his own meal, he said disparagingly eyeing both of us. As you wish, said the boy who shrugged off the hobo’s petulant attitude. The boy turned away from the hobo who took the chance to make eye contact with me; your boy is a fire starter, he warned mouthing the words silently but they rang loudly in my mind.

I held eye contact with the hobo as I hugged my boy closer to me but I was not sure if it was to distract the boy from turning around to look at the hobo or in a vain sign of my protection. I know, I mouthed back to the hobo; we are all fire starters. He slunk away in displeasure as I buried my face in the boy’s shoulders.

He was a fire starter. He held tremendous power in him that complemented my own. I recognized that and he knew about my ability too. We make really beautiful music together, he once told the others, we are more powerful as one than two. He took me to another room where children were playing with some kittens and puppies.

A white malisque fur ball climbed up on me, extending all its baby claws to show off, determined to scratch something. Poor baby cat, I thought, this was not the place to show your innate ability to survive or they would declaw you. I would bite, meowed the baby fur ball as ferociously as it could. You could die, I told the small ball of white fiery determination. Then I would be reborn into another body, the kitten scrunched its nose up confidently, I would be number 87-68 and I would grow more powerful with each rebirth; just like the turtle.
 

Free Blog Counter